Veterinary emergency – poison - VET&GO
To the main content

In order to best prepare your visit, call us before coming to our center.

Veterinary emergency – poison

When an animal ingests poison, time is of the essence. Even small amounts of poisons can be fatal. VET&GO are here to give immediate assistance and advise on your veterinary emergency so your pet doesn´t suffer.

Veterinary emergency

What substances are poisonous to animals?

Dogs and cats, and other pets such as rabbits, are inquisitive and don´t know what they shouldn’t eat or sniff. Poisons aren´t just products with a ‘poison’ label. For example, did you know that chocolate and grapes are harmful to animals?

Some of the most common animal poisons that can cause a veterinary emergency are:

  • Household and garden products
  • Rat poison
  • Human medication
  • Bee and wasp stings
  • Batteries
  • Some plants
  • Xylitol (a sweetener used in chewing gum, toothpaste and some sugar-free foods)

It’s important to keep any toxic products you have in your home out of reach of your pet.

What to do if your pet ingests a poisonous substance

If you suspect your pet has been exposed to or ingested a poisonous substance you should contact a vet as soon as possible. If your usual vet is closed call our 24/7 helpline for IMMEDIATE assistance.

If your pet has been poisoned:

  • Remove them from the location of the poison
  • If possible, collect a sample of the poison to take to your vet
  • Do not give your pet any medication or home remedies
  • Do not induce vomiting, unless advised by us

We will assess the veterinary emergency over the phone and decide if your pet needs to come in for treatment.


Your pet's condition worries you and your attending veterinarian is closed?

Contact us for advice from a regulatory veterinarian

+32 2 720 00 24